Re: Moving toolchain to other host

Rod, All,

On Saturday 23 January 2010 18:39:54 Rod Nussbaumer wrote:
> I posted a message some time ago, querying whether the stated
> versions were required, and Yann replied that indeed they are.

Yes, I remember.

> >>  Now, the question is, can I move those toolchains over to my RHEL 4.X &/or
> >> RHEL 5.X host(s), in order to compile code to run on embedded targets? The
> >> Redhat boxes are presently running kernels version 2.6.9 & version 2.68.18.
[--SNIP--]
> Thanks. That makes sense. Can you confirm that the directory structure
> that was created by ct-ng on the original build host must be (or need
> not be) maintained on the new build host (there should be a name for
> that; how about 'refugee host'?).

The toolchains generated with crosstool-NG are relocatable; that is, paths
are not hardcoded, so you can move them around in the tree.

> And speaking of directory structures, I am still struggling with the
> nature of such directories. In the documentation, 'overview.txt', I see
> the command:
> export PATH="${PATH}:/your/toolchain/path/bin"
> My toolchain is in the default ${HOME}/x-tools/....

Nope, it's in ${HOME}/x-tools/${CT_TARGET}
which for you is: ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu

> Within that tree, I can find no less than four 'bin' directories:
> ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/bin

That one!

> It would be nice if the doc's were a bit more explicit about which of
> these bin directories is considered to be '/your/toolchain/path/bin'.

Given the above explanations, could you come up with a patch to fix
docs, please?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.