Re: [Crosstool-NG] Blackfin support, RFC

Hello,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:09:10 +0200
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:

> > This is because Crosstool-NG assumes that when the architecture has
> > no-mmu, the kernel part of the tuple must be "uclinux". However, in the
> > case of Blackfin toolchains, it seems that the tradition is
> > bfin-uclinux for FLAT toolchains and bfin-linux-uclibc for FDPIC
> > toolchains. Therefore, I had to hack this part of Crosstool-NG code.
> >
> > Obviously, this is not the right way to do it, and that's why I'm
> > requesting for your comments on how to implement this properly.
>
> I'd say that, as of today, crosstool-NG does not build any single toolchain
> that targets Linux/noMMU. This code was just a plan for the future.
>
> Blackfin is the first arch that can build a Linux/noMMU toolchain, so let's
> adapt and match that. I'm not sure how other archs work, either.

Ok. But if we also want to support the bfin-uclinux toolchain type
(which generates FLAT binaries), we also need to keep a way of setting
the system part to "uclinux".

BTW, if you're interested, the build script used by the Blackfin people
to generate their toolchains (three variants of toolchains, each of
them using multilib), is available at
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/git/?p=readonly-mirrors/toolchain.git;a=blob;f=buildscript/BuildToolChain;h=e6b97bfc61427a1ca1aa411a9ccc6ab67d515ddf;hb=HEAD.

> I will handle the patchset a bit later, after dinner...

As for the Blackfin patches I've submitted, there's no particular rush.

> Don't take me wrong: I am not arguing wether git or Hg is better than
> the alternative. Just that, when switching out of SVN, I made a choice,
> based on some experiments I did on both solutions (and even a third one),
> and it appeared to me that Mercurial was easier to use, for me, on a daily
> basis (imagine: just two hours, and I was ready! When two years later, I
> am not yet ready to properly work with git without resorting to Google).
>
> And, please, don't take this personnaly, Thomas! :-)

I don't take it personnaly at all, no problem.

In my opinion here's more or less the adoption history of DVCS by the
open-source community. Until 2005, no practicaly usable DVCS existed.
When Linus started Git, we saw a tremendous proliferation of new DVCS:
Darcs, Monotone, Arch, Bazaar, a more or less distributed SVN,
Mercurial, Git and probably a few others. Nowadays, my perception is
that only Git and Mercurial are still really living, and Git has become
the default choice for most open-source projects: kernel, Gnome, X.org,
freedesktop, etc, particularly in the lower-level of the
infrastructure, which Crosstool-NG is a part of.

A few years ago, I still hadn't switched to DVCS: there was no clear
winner, Git was horribly complex to understand and to use, Mercurial
looked much easier but wasn't widely used. Besides Git's complexness, I
was also a little bit resistant to the Linus-fanboy-ism that sometimes
lead to the adoption of Git.

But nowadays, from my perspective, the DVCS war is over. Git has won.
Everybody willing to contribute to open-source projects *needs* to
learn Git, or will become isolated from the contribution to these
projects. And as it has become the default DVCS, everybody starts to
except to find a Git repo and to be able to re-use its Git skills in
the different projects.

As you see, I'm not doing any technical comparaison between Git and
Mercurial: both have their good sides and not-so-good-sides. It's more
a commodity question, I would say.

But, ok, fair enough, if Crosstool-NG uses Mercurial, I'll use
Mercurial.

Cheers!

Thomas
--