Re: feature request: Include ncurses, openssl

Ben, All,

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 23:15:18 Ben Greear wrote:
> I found cross-compiilng ncurses and openssl to be fairly painful,
> but I now have some notes that work (for ARM cross compiles, at least).
>
> I think it would be nice if crosstools could automatically build
> those (and perhaps other common libraries).

The role of crosstool-NG is to generate toolchains, and only toolchains.

I do not want it to be another buildroot, openwrt, openembedded, ...
(pick one), which all do their jobs at building rootfs-es.

The fact that crosstool-Ng has to build ncurses in the first place is
because we also build gdb for the target (which is not really part of the
toolchain, but is a very nice stuff to have to debug natively). And gdb
requires ncurses to build (I did not find how to disable that). So we
build a static version of ncurses that we link gdb with, and then we
get rid of that.

I'm not pushing any non-system library into crosstool-NG.

As Arnaud pointed to, there are very good alternatives. One of them is
buildroot that can efficiently make use of toolchains built with
crosstool-NG (and for which there is an on-giong effort to transparently
use crosstool-NG as a backend in place of the current internal backend,
but that's still WIP).

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.