Re: wanting to verify that a toolchain should be entirely self-contained

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Peter Wippich wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> even though this group is more or less about building toolchains,

  i know, i was pushing the bounds of the scope of the list, but i
can't think of any other place to find this many toolchain experts in
the same place. :-)

> not about using them (at least not for pre-build toolchains
> downloaded somewhere), the answer to your problem is quite simple.
> The toolchain you downloaded (as most others) does not include
> lib(n)curses.

  right, and all i wanted to verify was that that was the immediate
and insurmountable obstacle with the toolchain i downloaded.  i was
being told that perhaps my problem was installing the toolchain in the
wrong place, but that made absolutely no sense.  the problem was that
the toolchain *did not contain any curses/ncurses support*.  that's
all i wanted to verify, and that i wasn't missing anything obvious.

> Solution is straigtforward: get the ncurses tarball and build it for
> your toolchain. Consult your toolchain vendor on how to
> configure/install additional libraries for your environment.  Or
> find out by yourself. If getting stuck hire a consultant, which may
> save you days.

  no, no, i'm pretty sure i can handle that part, i just wanted
confirmation that what i was thinking was correct and that i was
getting weird advice from others.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca