Re: ct-ng-1.8.0: problem building sstrip on MacOSX 10.6 host

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:46 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

James, All,

[... snip ...]

Or maybe MacOS-X is not an ELF host, and lacks those headers? ;-)

Just disable sstrip, it's not really needed most of the time (and is broken
on a few archs, eg. PPC). I'm thinking about just removing it in the next
release.

James,

Yes, I can certainly confirm that sstrip doesn't work for power-pc architectures.

Either way, I think in your case, the standard strip should be perfectly adequate. My understanding is that sstrip was created with embedded systems in mind where storage space is at a premium so it strips out further "unnecessary" sections that the standard strip does not. However, if you read through the source code for sstrip, it details a number of caveats - i.e. it is a very specific tool to a specific task, and is not 100% reliable outside that box. Therefore where storage space is not a premium, then I think it much better (and safer!) to use the standard strip instead.

(This is just my opinion!)

Hope this helps!

Andy