Re: MINGW PPL build fix reported upstream ?

Arnaud, All,

On Sunday 08 August 2010 20:06:56 Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> I thought you were not doing MINGW32 ? How can you know if Bart's bug
> disappeared or not ?

Because I can build the sample. The issue was at build time, not at runtime.
When I said "I don't do mingw32', I meant "I do not have Windows(TM) here,
so I can't test any binary running on mingw32'.

However, I can build toolchains that do target mingw32 and run on my Linux
machine. ;-)

> > So, three things:
> > - I'm not fixing a bug we're not seeing;
> > - I'm not pushing fixes upstream for that bug;
> > - I'll be nuking the shared complibs and the wrapper for the next stable.
> humm, looks there will be yet-another-harcoded-thing in the next
> stable to come ;-)

Building the shared libraries was a hack in the first place. In an ideal
world, distros would be responsible for providing those. Unfortunately,
many distros are lagging behind, and some even do not have those libs.
So we have to build them, but it poses quite a number of problems.

When distros come up to speed, we can't even get rid of them, as stable
production machines will still lack those libs. So we're stuck.

Static libs are very nice, because then we can get rid of the *ugly*
wrapper.

Now, if you can come with a reason to keep shared conpanion libs,
well, the infra is here. It's just maintenance. I don't want
to keep them shared, as it makes life harder.

Now, I'm pushing my patches for review on the list, and will try to
leave them pending for a few days. You, as any one else, will have
the opportunity to comment when I submit to the list. And if no one
complains, Paf! it gets pushed. :-)

> > I hope this is a sufficient explanation. :-)
> Well, I didn't ask you any explanation at first... The original mail
> was not to you, but to Bart. You were CC'ed for reference, nothing
> more...

And because I knew the answer, I replied, with enough context as to why
the patch was no longer needed, and why the issue was no longer valid.

But OK, I'll refrain from doing so, now... :-/
Oh shit... I already did it again above... :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.