Re: ct-ng -> git repos instead of single patches

* Esben Haabendal <esben@haabendal.dk> wrote:

Hi,

> But I am just as big a fan of KISS, and in this case, I cannot help
> myself having a really bad fealing about this. The current patch file
> approach is definitely KISS.  And I fail to see the shortcomings.

Yes, as long as you only look at the part of acutally patching
the sourcetree. but the patches have to be produced first, on new
releases they maybe have to be rebased, etc, etc.

In fact, i'm doing everything via git (and just like Linus, I dont
do backups anymore - just syncing repos ;-o). Patches are just
extracted from git repos, in the few cases where I still need them
for historical reasons.

BTW: the whole machinery would become a lot simpler. No more
tarball downloading, extracting and patchting. Just a plain
checkout. Something like:

    mkdir -p ${package_srcdir} && \
    cd ${package_srcdir} && \
    git init ${package_srcdir} && \
    echo "${master_repository}/objects" > ${package_srcdir}/objects/info/alternates && \
    git fetch "${master_repository}" +${package_ref}:_tmp && \
    git checkout _tmp

> Having integrated ct-ng into a build system, I also find the current
> patch system easy to handle for local changes.

I completely disagree here. These local changes still have to be
extracted to patches, and these patches have to be put into the
proper places. If ct-ng would take it's sources from git, all one
needs to do is to change the ref name.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666