Re: patch for crosstool-ng to allow easier use of 3rd party patches

Yann,

Quoting "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr>:
Heiko,

[Please CC the list next time.]

Will do

On Saturday 18 December 2010 22:19:36 Heiko Zuerker wrote:
attached you find a patch for crosstool-ng 1.9.1.
It removes the -F1 from the patch command, since it prevented a lot of
patches from being able to be applied (namely the Gentoo gcc patches).
In addition to that, I added some code which detects with -pX level is
required to correctly apply the patch.

Nope. I do not want to rely on magic when applying the patches. They have to be applied as -p1 patches.

I don't really agree with this way of approaching things. In my mind this just adds unnecessary complication and steps to the process of adding patches.
But it's your tool, you have the final decision.

How about the -F1?
You're using it in both the patch-rework.sh and in the functions file.
The patches I'm using don't apply with this setting. The patches aren't mine (see below) and I don't have the skill to rewrite them.

If you have a set of patches that do not apply with -p1, then you can have
a look at scripts/patch-rework.sh. It's purpose is exactly that: transform
a patchset of non-p1 patches into -p1 patches.

It is not documented, but the API is:

where:
 basedir       points to the extracted component to patch
 src           points to the existing patchset to transform
 dst           points to the directory where to put transformed patches
 diff_opts     optional options to pass to diff

Then, once your patchset has been transformed, you can put it into your
local patch directory.

Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with the patch-rework.sh script. These are the patches I'm trying to apply: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/src/patchsets/gcc/4.4.5/pie/

--

Regards