Re: portable build of eglibc

Titus, All,

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 08:26:59 Titus von Boxberg wrote:
> I found that the eglibc (at least 2_9/2_10) build is not portable
> to non-linux systems.
> The few required patches are about the sunrpc compiler, and the
> time zone info compiler requiring gettext, and using the gnu
> specific strpncpy(3).

- What are those patches changing: build-system or code?
- Is eglibc still buildable on Linux afterwards?

> eglibc's configure wants to figure out what binutils to call
> and uses the gcc-core-shared -print-prog-name=xxx.
> This compiler does not know about the binutils already compiled
> and simply prints e.g. 'objdump' without a path.
> The correct way would be to give eglibc's configure the
> parameter --with-binutils=<pathtojustcompiledbinutils>
> Then the correct objdump etc. gets used.
> I recommend to introduce this option for eglibc's configure
> even when you do not want the other patches.

Yes, it makes sense. Care to send a patch (don't forget to sob it) ?

> If you are interested, I'd send you the other patches for the
> head revision of ct-ng.

Send them, we'll look at them, and if they are correct, we can see if we
include them or not.

Thanks for the heads up! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.