Re: BFD does not support target avr32-unknown-none.

On 15/02/11 00:07, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
Peter, All,

On Monday 14 February 2011 23:39:19 ng@piments.com wrote:
I am attempting to use ct-ng to build a toolchain for avr32.

I used the 'sample' included in 1.9.2 and it built OK. But when I try to
add gdb it fails with an obscure error I have not been able to find any
info on.

nano /back/ts/ct-ng/x-tools/avr32-unknown-none/build.log
[ALL  ]    checking linker --as-needed support... yes
[ALL  ]    checking for cos in -lm... yes
[ALL  ]    *** BFD does not support target avr32-unknown-none.
[ALL  ]    *** Look in bfd/config.bfd for supported targets.

It seems to me that avr32 is not supported in upstream gdb. It requires a patch, which you may get from Atmel (registration required): http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4118

Look for:

   AVR32 GNU Toolchain 2.4.2 - Linux Source Code (102 MB, revision
   2.4.2, updated 01/10) AVR32 GNU Toolchain Linux Source code

I don't know what version of gdb is available in there, though. I am
not registered.

Going the hacker's way, would it be possible to replace the gdb BFD with
the one from binutils? Hehe... Open-heart surgery. :-]

I know this build is marked experimental but I see a lot of stuff out
there that seems to suggest avr-gdb is working on linux

Warning: avr != avr32. avr is 8-bit, avr32 is 32-bit. What you want is avr32-gdb.

Yes, I was aware of that but oddly did not spot it's significance to avr-gdb.

Regards, Yann E. MORIN.

Thanks very much Yann, that looks like what I need.

for the record, the zip includes:

avr32-binutils-2.19.atmel.1.2.0.tar.gz
avr32-binutils.spec
avr32-gcc-4.3.2-atmel.1.2.0.tar.gz
avr32-gcc-newlib.spec
avr32-gdb-6.7.1.atmel.1.0.4.tar.gz
avr32-gdb.spec
avr32-newlib-1.16.0.atmel.1.1.0.tar.gz

It looks like the bundle contains spec files intented to build an rpm package or similar so I'll have to look into using that in a way that applies to this Gentoo system.

Although I'd rather have one build environment (ct-ng) not a sack full.

It essentially looks like a small series of patches to std gnu tools. These could presumably be added to ct-ng if they have not been added upstream. At least this gives a starting point for version numbers and patches that ought to work together.

All looks to be legit GPL , no proprietory stuff and all clearly documented and maintained.

Thanks, Peter.