Re: restart after manual intervention

On 02/26/11 19:41, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
Peter, All,

On Saturday 26 February 2011 01:58:17 ng@piments.com wrote:
I am having to do some manual intervention to get binutils to build on
avr32.

Good! :-) I saw that you sent some updates to the original thread. When you have finished, could you summarise it, so we can see if it is appropriate to include in crosstool-NG? TIA.

Is there a way to force ct-ng to continue with " ct-ng build
RESTART=elf2flt " as if it had completed the binutils step?

It is not currently possible "out-of-the-box". Restarting means restoring a previously saved internal state, and continue as if there had been no interruption.

Obviously, you can't restore a state that was not previously saved! :-)

Of course, you could fake it. That's not easy, but you should look at
   scripts/functions

and see what CT_DoLoadState() expects to restore, and what CT_DoSaveState()
does backup. Then, you could prepare such an backed up state manually.

Or better yet, change the binutils build procedure so you do not have to
stop/restart the build ! :-)

Yes , clearly that would be the ideal but I don't have the time to get in that deep and I would not want to deprive anyone getting paid by atmel of their livelihood ;)

Regards, Yann E. MORIN.

Thanks for the pointers, Yann.

There's quite a bit going on but it does not look that complicated on the bottom line (if I short circuit some of the ct-ng options and ignore additions to err_log).

From those functions you note and looking at the dir structures , it seems like this should be enough.

==================================
attempt fake state-save for manual binutils

cd targets/avr32-unknown-none/state
mkdir binutils
cp gmp/* binutils
# ignore adding to log file
ct-ng build RESTART=binutils+

I have not bitten the bullet on that yet since I don't want to blast what I've achieved so far. Would that be enough as a quick hack or am I missing something significant?

Thanks again, Peter.