Re: chmod -R u+w .build/src EACH TIME?????

Andy, All,

On Thursday 03 March 2011 19:27:39 ANDY KENNEDY wrote:
> You didn't understand the point of the one minute offset.  This was so
> that
> all directories in the CWD would hold the same time as an arbitrary
> known unmodified point.  To set the touch one minute in the past assures
> that when we recheck to see if anything has changed, only directories
> that
> have been modified will have a variant of the timestamp by at least one
> minute.

OK, my bad, sorry... I see the point, now.

Anyway, instead of trying to cover all cases, and coming up with complex,
flawed heuristics, I decided to reap this big chmod away, and have
offending packages cleanup the mess behind them. The culprits are:
- autoconf-2.65
- automake-1.11.1
- libtool-2.2.6b
- make-3.81
- ncurses-5.7, all files

Onlt five of them. It took only a few minutes to do a chmod in all
5 of them, so no big deal...

> See, we take the Doc's Delorean, hit 88MPH and go back in time
> precisely one minute.

Hehe... 88MPH.. Hehe! :-)

> I don't really understand why you are not allowed to extract into known
> source directories?  If it is due to the fact that some tarballs you
> extract are overwriting dirs that are expected to be in CWD, could you
> not contain all of the offending dirs into a single dir -- yes, you
> would
> have to reach out a bit deeper to get to the offending Makefile(s) but
> you could then control the names of the extract directories.  All in
> all,
> it would make the scripts easier to write (I would think).
>
> This is, in fact, what I'm doing in BuildRoot for proprietary code that
> we are getting from our code repo.  I make the offensive (usually third
> party) code be one level deep and I supply a Makefile that preps the
> build another level deep.

OK, so you mean every tarball should be extracted into its own intermediary
directory, so we'd get:
  ${CT_SRC_DIR}/glibc/glibc-2.9/{all,glibc,files,here}
               /gcc/gcc-4.3.2/{all,gcc,files,here}

and we then would 'just' have to chmod the intermediary directory. Why not.

But the per-package chmod is far easier to handle, so far!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.