Re: [CT-NG] Status : canadian rework

Trevor, All,

( Damn, getting back up to speed and answering all is tedious! :-) )

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 17:56:03 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Yann E. MORIN
> <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> > But above all, it needs testing! :-] If you have a bit of spare time, and a
> > lot of free CPU ticks, please look at that series and give it a whirl.
>
> For the last day or so I've been testing this new branch.
>
> Using an x86_64 machine, my first thought was to create a set of
> PowerPC build tools (a regular "cross" toolchain), then use this
> PowerPC toolchain to generate a Canadian Cross targetting a MIPS
> device:
>
> build: x86_64
> host: PowerPC
> target: MIPS
>
> I was simply unable to get a regular cross toolchain to build
> successfully.

Were you able to build the same cross-toolchain using the stock, unpatched
repository?

> Later on it dawned on me I probably don't need to
> perform the steps separately, I probably could have just tried to
> build the Canadian Cross in one go (which I have not yet tried)

With this branch, only the build->host toolchain is required to exist.
So your steps would have to be:
- build the standard x86_64 -> ppc toolchain
- build the ppc ->mips canadian cross, using the above cross toolchain

> but my
> point being I don't seem to be able to create a regular cross
> toolchain from this branch.

If the toolchain does build with the stock unpatched repository, and not
with the series applied, then this is a regression. If it still does not
build with the stock repository, then this is an existing issue that should
be fixed independently.

> I don't have a log file handy to send you right now. My work
> environment is simply too slow to attempt a build at this time (VM),
> but if you would like I could send you one later. It shouldn't be too
> hard to reproduce; I tried building two separate cross configurations
> (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu and mips-unknown-elf) and neither of them
> succeeded. I then verified these two configurations worked on 1.10.0.

Ah, OK...

> I'm probably doing something wrong, but these were my steps:
> <follow hg steps from your email>
> $ ct-ng list-samples
> $ ct-ng powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
> $ ct-ng menuconfig
>   - don't compress log
>   - change install location from default
>   - change tarball location from default
>   - don't build anything other than C compiler (no C++, Java, etc)
>   - don't build debugging tools (gdb, etc)
> $ ct-ng build
>
> The error was that one of the ./configure scripts (binutils, I think)
> was complaining about the versions of MPFR and GMP it was finding. In
> essence, the "--with-gmp=" and "--with-mpfr=" options were pointing to
> locations which weren't the locations to which those companion
> libraries had been installed.

Hmmm.. It rings a bell here... I'll look into that later this week, when
I finished getting back up to speed...

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.