Re: native toolchain build

On 2011-04-09 21:29, Michael Zintakis wrote:
but it seems to me that you are trying to re-invent the wheel. LFS (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) does almost exactly what you want to do (except building the toolchains 2 and 3), so why don't you just follow that manual up to the point when you can start building Toolchain2 (somewhere in the beginning of Chapter 6)?
Thanks, but I am already familiar with LFS.

Chapter 6 deals with building the LFS system in a chrooted environment. That is not what I am trying to do (building my system in chrooted environment will be done much later in my process when I have my toolchains 1 & 2, plus have the minimal set of utilities for that environment built & installed).
I suppose my suggestion wasn't clear. You don't need to build the complete LFS chrooted environment, you can just stop as soon as the toolchain in the chrooted environment is built (the beginning of chapter 6), and this would be your toolchain1, that you wanted to be independent on anything present on the host, which LFS has perfectly taken care of. After that you don't need the LFS chrooted environment any more, but you can use the toolchain built in it to proceed with building your toolchain2 and further.

Chapter 5, however, resembles more of what I am trying to achieve - i.e build a (native) toolchain and minimal set of tools with which to set up the chroot environment and then proceed to build my system. The steps described in Chapter 5 are the same (or very similar) to the steps ct-ng already performs albeit for a cross-compilation, so why should I reinvent the wheel (excuse the punt)?

If for no other reason, then because you seem to be having trouble with this approach, while LFS is the way lots of people went and it is known to work well.

If I could use ct-ng to get my native compiler built properly (and lets face it, ct-ng is *the* tool to use to do such a thing - I've been banging my head for ages until I found something which comes close to being reliable at building this), then I am ready to proceed to the final steps in my process and start building the system in chrooted environment.

ct-ng is a great tool for building cross-toolchains, but I don't really see the point of trying to use it for native toolchains (which is unsupported at the moment) while another method is available (and, by the way, quite reliable, from my own experience). Using ct-ng would probably save you some amount of typing, but if it doesn't work out of the box, then I'm not sure even that would be the case.

--
Sergei.