Re: glibc can not be installed anywhere than in /usr

Jean-Michel,

Please keep the list CCed next time...

On Monday 06 June 2011 21:07:28 Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
> 2011/5/25 Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr>:
> > On Wednesday 25 May 2011 173051 Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
> >> Hi Yann, list
> >>
> >> First of all, crosstool-ng is a great tool, quite easy to configure.
> >>
> >> I am currently trying to recompile a gcc for my x86_64 machine using
> >> crosstool-ng-1.11.3,
> >
> > Crosstool-NG is not (yet?) capable of building native toolchains.
> >
> >> When I looked at the glibc-eglibc.sh-common file I noticed that --prefix is
> >> hardcoded with --prefix=/usr
> >> According to me, this should not be the case, but is there any good reason
> >> for doing that ?
> >
> > Yes, this has to be /usr. See:
> > Âhttp://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html#Configuring-and-compiling
>
> I am now trying to make a cross compiler, and it also asks me for
> removing the /usr/include/limits.

You must *not* set CT_PREFIX_DIR to '/'. By default, crosstool-NG will
try to remove that directory.

And even if you tell it not to, this means that it will clobber your
build host files with files from the cross-compiler. And you'll have to
reinstall your complete machine... :-(

> As I have a root access, I can do it, but I don't want to, because
> this is a distribution used by other users...

You should *never* *ever* run as root. See above why! ;-)

> Is this the only file which will be overwritten ? What are the side effects ?

No, many others would get clobbered.
Side effect: reinstall the machine... :-(

> BTW, I think you are French (from Rennes ?). Si tel est le cas, on
> peut continuer en franÃais :).

En prive, oui, mais ce genre d'echange est mieux sur la liste de diffusion,
donc en anglais. Ca permet de stocker les discussions dans les archives, et
les question et reponses sont disponibles a la recherche.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.