Re: Openrisc? How do I get started?

David, All,

On Friday 23 March 2012 20:33:38 David Smoot wrote:
> I want to build a toolchain for openrisc because I got some neat
> modules from NXP for the Jennic platform I want to play with.

That's been a loooong time since I last tried to build an openrisc toolchain.
When the support was first added to crosstool-NG, none of gcc, glibc, binutils,
linux, had upstream support for openrisc, so it was added within a archive in
the source tree.

> So from the crosstool main page I tried to go back to my download of
> crosstool and issue "./configure --with-contrib=list" but I get an
> error that is an unknown option.  Try "./configure --help" and see
> there is no with-contrib option.

Indeed, the --with-contrib is no longer recognised since we switched from
our hand-written ./configure, to an autotools one.

> Where do I download the version of crosstool that has the contrib
> stuff?  Thanks in advance,

It should be possible to apply the openrisc contrib by hand. Just run the
following line before you run ./configure:
    lzcat contrib/openrisc-or32.patch.lzma |patch -p1

If that does not work, you could try with an old version, maybe something
in the 1.10.x era, or even before. But know that there will be no support
on such an ancient version.

I think it would be nice to have native openrisc support in crosstool-NG.
But that would require that all the upstream projects have openrisc support:
gcc, glibc, linux, binutils...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.