Re: Multilib branch

Ray,

So many good questions...

List,

Ray and I had started discussing updates to our WIP multilib work.
Now we're on git, maybe I can nudge others to join in. ;)

https://bitbucket.org/bhundven/crosstool-ng

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Ray Donnelly <mingw.android@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> Things are good thanks, hope you are well too?

It's been busy. :-/

> I'm taking a look now. AFAIR, there's 7 patches, some by me, some by
> you, one mostly by Cody. How should we handle that? Ideally we'd only
> commit our own parts I guess, but I'm not dogmatic.

Go ahead and commit changes to the 'multilib' branch, as we discussed
in IRC. 'master' is just going to track upstream.

> Also, do you want to allow forced pushes? That would allow me to commit them all then
> you could re-commit the ones you wrote I guess. FWIW, I don't mind
> forced pushes in this situation if it leads to cleaner final patches.
> Or we can always make new branches for either WIP or for perparing to
> push to Yann.

The 'multilib' branch is the collaboration of our work. You're more
then welcome to have your own 'multlib-<name>-wip' branch, and just
let me know when you are ready for merging to 'multilib', but you're a
collaborator on that so you're also welcome to commit to 'multilib'.

> Testing-wise, what do you think is a good sample config, or do you
> have one? Just now I tested that the patchset doesn't break a
> non-multilib Raspberry Pi target.

I've been slowly working on a set of build-test scripts for
crosstool-ng, but I've been busy, and I need a computer that can build
ct-ng faster then my laptop.
With that task, I'm probably going to have to instrument crosstool-ng
a tiny bit, but that's off-topic from this thread.

I think we need to test as many of the sample configs we have already
to check for breakage.
Then we'll create some new sample configs that have multilib targets.

> My multilib builds in the past have been Windows build+host targeting Linux, but that requires a whole
> load of patches that aren't to do with multilib, and I don't want to
> muddy the waters.

I'd like to see patches that fix ct-ng on windows hosts, but the long
term issue is testing.

> I'd also prefer to test with a Linux build+host
> initially. I'm still not 100% sure why crosstool-ng can't build 'fake'
> cross compilers, e.g. Linux x86_64 targeting Linux multilib. Yann
> tried to explain it to me once, but my mind has a block where I can't
> see where any complications are. I may try to disable the deliberate
> failure when a native build is detected actually and see how I get on.

I read this three times and don't get what your saying. Can you
explain it a different way?

> I can push them all as soon as you tell me what branch to do it to.

And they are already up!

> Best regards,
>
> Ray.

Cheers,