cygwin tar to tape?

We are trying to tar a directory to an xabyte tape on a scsi connection to
a Windows NT workstation. We are trying the following command:

    tar -cvf \\tape1 images

... where images is a directory.   The system builds up first tar block but
when it comes to write it we get error denying access permission to
\\tape1. We have a dat drive on tape0. We can write to tape with NT
backup.

We implemented the unix tools only from user.exe. Can one use unix mt
commands to rewind tape and skip tape marks?

If anyone can help us we would appreciate.

Willie Morrison