New on sources.redhat.com: cvs-1.10.8-2

This is the intial port to cygwin's new packaging scheme of the
Concurrent Versioning System, or cvs.  This port is based on the
official cvs-1.10.8 interim release, and requires that gdbm-1.8.0-2 or
later be installed as well.

Please read this message in its entirety. A list of changes/notes
concerning this package appear below, and several known issues are
explained.  For instance, the 'cvs update: error reading current
directory: Function not implemented' message is explained...film at 11.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin web page.  This downloads setup.exe
to your system.

Run setup and answer all of the questions.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
choose a mirror site for your download.  The 'sources.redhat.com' site
is badly overloaded.  The mirrors below have the latest version of this
package:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin/ (US)
ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/cygwin/ (Austria)
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
   (UK)

Note that if this is the first time that you've run the new GUI version
of setup, it will currently download the whole cygwin net release again.
After this point it will only download what is needed.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at:  cygwin@sources.redhat.com .  I would appreciate if you
would use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly. This
includes ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at
the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send
email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

NOTES:

o I've had cvs-1.10 on cygutils for some time but it didn't follow the
official package layout rules for cygwin. This version is updated to
cvs-1.10.8, and is dynamically linked to libgdbm.dll.

o Abides by the cygwin package system standard:
  - cygwin-specific docs in /usr/doc/Cygwin/cvs-1.10.8.README
  - generic docs in /usr/doc/cvs-1.10.8/*

o A cygwin-specific README and PATCH are stored in the source archive,
under <top>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/* (although that patch has already been
applied to the archive itself). The cygwin-specific README is also
installed by the binary distribution as described above.

o cvs-1.10.8 installs into /usr/bin, so if you've got an older version
(such as the one from cygutils) in /usr/local/bin make sure you're using
the new version, and that the /usr/local/bin version isn't hiding the
new version.

-------'make check' TEST REPORTS ---------

You can only run the 'official' tests if you download the source archive
(cvs-1.10.8-2-src.tar.gz) and build cvs yourself.  In any case, here are
some notes from my personal tests, running the 'make check' suite of
tests. This took several hours to complete.

Of the many hundreds of tests, cvs failed only the following:
  - join-readonly-conflict
  - modules3
  - modules4
  - errmsg1
  - binfiles3
  - rcs3
There were several other subtests that failed with a 'Signal 11' error
(!!!) during the mega-test, but re-running those tests individually
succeeded.

I didn't run the following four tests, because they require a remote
repository to which you have write access:
  - pserver
  - server
  - server2
  - client

To run the tests individually, don't type 'make check'. Instead, cd to
<top>/src and type:
  '/bin/sh ./sanity.sh `pwd`/cvs list-of-tests-to-run'

You can find the list of all tests inside sanity.sh starting at line
592.

This list of failures may be scary, but it's no worse than the older
cygwin port of cvs-1.10. I'd appreciate any reports of success or
failure using this version.

------- also included in the readme
------- but, since nobody reads that...

works for me for everything I've tried. For whatever that's worth.

------------------------
At least one successful report of cvs + Corinna's openSSH 2.1.1p4 from
Norman Vine, on Win98.

1. untar the [OpenSSH] distribution
2. run the /usr/local/bin/ssh-config script
3. restart Cygwin
4. export CVS_RSH=ssh
5. and launch cvs

------------------------
Jason Tishler reports that this CVS, with cygwin-1.1.4, is about half
as fast as a native Win32 port of CVS. IMO, that's pretty good...but
Trevor Forbes disagrees (see next item).

------------------------
cvs appears to upload the entire repository before doing an update.
Really slows down 'cvs -u'. Occurs only with post-Cygwin-CD cygwin
dll's. Using a clean CygwinCD installation, but with this version of
cvs/gdbm, no slowdown observed. Drop in a new cygwin1.dll from 1.1.0 or
later, and slowdown happens. Reported by Trevor Forbes.

status: UNCONFIRMED. No known explanation.

------------------------
cvs can't do a checkout when pwd = '/'. Reported by Travis Howell
(Win98SE + cygwin1.1.3)

status: UNCONFIRMED. I cannot reproduce; it works okay for me
(W2K+cygwin1.1.4).

------------------------
cvs can't work with packages that contain files whose names are illegal
under MSWIN -- e.g. the eggdrop-1.5 package has a directory called
'AUX'. Reported by Travis Howell.

status: IGNORE. cvs isn't the right place to fix this. If it is to be
fixed, it should be done in the cygwin file access layer, not in cvs.
(Personally, I thing the maintainer of eggdrop and other poorly-behaved
packages should use names that are cross-platform compatible, but...)

addendum: Corinna sez 'Yep'.

------------------------
Jason Tishler reported that cvs gives annoying errors when using cvs in
client mode (e.g. using rsh) on Win98

$ cvs update
cvs update: error reading current directory: Function not implemented

but the update functions properly. The message is an annoyance, that's
all.

status: FIXED (but not available yet). It's actually a cygwin bug, not a
cvs bug -- so we won't know for sure if it's fixed until cygwin-1.1.5.
The brave (or foolish <g>) can try a post-1.1.4 development snapshot of
cygwin. Be warned: as always, development snapshots are unsupported and
not guaranteed to work at all.

addendum: The 2000-08-11 snapshot fixed the "Function not implemented"
error, but introduced a new problem:
  "cvs [update aborted]: waiting for process 198: No children"
Chris Faylor suggests that this is because (surprise) snapshots aren't
guaranteed to work:
  http://sources/redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-08/msg00550.html
But in any case, it appears that the problems Jeffrey is seeing are
cygwin bugs, not cvs bugs. We'll have to wait until cygwin-1.1.5 to know
for sure.

Remember, this only affects client/server mode when using rsh.

------------------------
Jeffrey Juliano reports that cvs + ssh (e.g. CVS_RSH=ssh) hangs. He's
using Win98SE + cygwin-1.1.4. cvs-1.10.8-1 cygwin cvs client,
openSSH-2.1.1p4-2 cygwin ssh client, and cvs-1.10.7 IRIX server,
ssh.com's ssh-1.2.22 IRIX server with AFS patches.

status: UNCONFIRMED. no explanation -- only a guess that something funky
with OpenSSH-->sshd-1.2.22+AFS is causing problems. However, Norman Vine
reports successs using OpenSSH-2.1.1p4-2 and cvs-1.10.8-1.

Congratulations. You made it to the end of this message!

--Chuck