This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
New version of the Cygwin setup.exe program released
- From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- To: cygwin-announce at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:22:14 -0700
- Subject: New version of the Cygwin setup.exe program released
- Reply-to: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
I have updated the Cygwin setup utility to version 2.510.2.1. This release
contains a number of bugfixes and additional features, which are summarized
The setup.exe file can be downloaded from <http://cygwin.com/setup.exe> or by
clicking on "Install Cygwin Now" on the main cygwin.com page.
If you encounter problems using setup.exe, please report your experience to the
cygwin-apps mailing list, cygwin-apps <at> cygwin.com. Please note that this
list is to be used *only* for problem reports related to the setup.exe program
itself. Use the main Cygwin mailing list (cygwin <at> cygwin.com) for all
issues relating to using/configuring Cygwin or Cygwin packages. See
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin/lists.html> for information about the various Cygwin
Changes in setup.exe version 2.510.2.1:
- Retrieve exit status of preremove/postinstall scripts. Log abnormal exits.
- Use /bin/bash rather than /bin/sh when running preremove/postinstall scripts
to facilitate upgrading /bin/sh.
- Remove support for undocumented and dangerous postremove scripts.
- Add new "Size" column to package chooser.
- Perform explicit dependency checking when the user finishes with the
package selection step, and if any missing dependencies are found prompt
to resolve the conflicts.
- Checkbox option to hide packages in category ZZZRemovedPackages or any
category that begins with '_'. (Note: ZZZRemovedPackages has now been
renamed to _obsolete on the mirrors.) Packages in these categories are
either empty placeholder packages that have been renamed/removed, or are
infrastructure packages like 'update-info-dir' and are not generally useful
to the end user.
- Support mouse wheel scrolling in the package chooser.
- Use graphical "+" and "-" symbols in category mode of the package chooser.
- Improve painting method for the package chooser to improve redraw speed and
prevent sluggish scrolling.
- Fix unpacking of hardlinks in source packages.
- Change ordering of uninstall actions so that all preremove scripts are
executed prior to deleting files. Fixes problem with "cannot find DLL"
popup error messages during preremove scripts when lots of packages are
upgraded at once.
- Remove the --no-md5 (-5) command line option - the cache is now never
fully MD5-ed, as to do so takes far too long, and packages will be checked
before installation anyway.
- Make the MD5 checks immediately prior to installing packages actually
display notification in the GUI.
- Add support for tooltips that appear when the mouse pointer hovers
- Add text to dialogs recommending Binary mode and "All users". Add clickable
hyperlinks to the appropriate sections of the online Users Guide.
- Fix some dialog elements that were not resized properly when the window was
- Include manifest, resulting in support for XP themes.
- Remember proxy port setting.
- Fix dependency calculation bug when switching between Curr/Prev/Exp radio
- Fix crash on encountering a postinstall script with a name of 4
characters or less.
- Display only valid URL schemes in the mirrors list.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.