Re: RFD: Include an easy editor in the cygwin-standard-distribution

--- Michael Ring <m.ring@ndh.net> wrote:
-8<-
> >>I suggest, the ed package for one, and if there is a small version of vi,
> not
> >>vim, we include those.  Anyone know of a vi package that is close the the
> >>original UNIX versions?
>
> Hmmm.. my personal vote would be vim, perhaps it is not always pure vi
> but the best version of vi I ever used. (And I'm using it every day)

I only suggested a light weight version of vi because we were discussing
"small" foot prints.  Vim is my preferences as well.

> >Why not use vim?  I'm willing to include this.  I just need a maintainer.
> >
> >cgf
>
> If it must be vim we could use Chuck Wilson's version because it is
> very independant of other packages; I would personally prefer the full
> version with gnome support but that can always be distributed as an
> addon to cygwin.
>
> I can take care for vim if noone has objections, but I would still
> like to raise the question again:
>
> Do we really want that? For me and lot's of others vi is it, but what
> about someone getting his feet wet with cygwin for the first time?

I certainly don't object to your being the Cygwin maintainer of vim.  But, yes
vi/m is needed.  I've been reviewing the man page from the web site for ee.  It
looks really good.  I suggest maybe both, however,  gvim would be better.
Perhaps the Xlib used in the rxvt cygwin port would be sufficient to get gvim
built.  I don't know if enough of the motif has been ported to windows calls or
not.

> Editing a file (or explaining how to) can get complicated with vim or
> emacs; why make it more complicated than neccessary?

I understand your need for wanting the editing of files to be as simple as
possible when explaining to the "I want to learn UNIX using Cygwin" folks.
It's just that they're not going to learn the UNIX utilities if you use
something different.

Regards,

=====
---