Re: processor compatibility when building packages

This topic came up about a year ago on this list:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-07/msg00039.html

and I've recently raised it again on mingw lists.

Looking at cygwin's spec file it says:

*cpp_cpu_default:
%(cpp_686)

To me that means that, unless user overrides with command line -march or
-mcpu option, code is tuned for i686.  To get that into the specs file, one
has to either configure gcc so that TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT=3 (=pentium) or pass
that define to make when building gcc.

That interpretion is different from the conclusion that was posted in the
message pointed to above, which says that cygwin-produced code will run on
any i[35467]86 arch.

I'm not talking about the platform triplet moniker -- that I realise is
just a name.  I'm asking: Has anyone complained that cygwin-built apps fail
on i386 but not on i686?

Danny

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.