Re: setup testers wanted

> Here's what you need to do. Subscribe to cygwin-apps
OK, I've done that and am moving the discussion there.

> This is the same bug as has been reported twice.
Sorry, I'm suscribed with the digest version. I should
have waited until the next digest came in to avoid 'me
too's.

> > Also, this pertains to what I say below, but
> > shellutils really ought to be in "base" so
> > /etc/profile can do $(id -un)
> This is a packaging issue, setup.exe is data driven
So cygwin should depend on bash and shellutils.

> rxvt and tcsh are not part of base, and should not
> be. Where do you
> suggest they go if not in shells?
ash, bash, and tcsh are shells. rxvt is I guess an
xterm. So we need an "xterm" (more confusion about
X11) or "misc" or something. Is that "utils" category
from Debian as Chris mentioned? Is there a URL for
this Debian packages standard we are ripping off? Or
could stuff like clear and rxvt be lumped in "misc"?

> > newlib-man doesn't cut it. Put it in devel.
> It is a documentation package isn't it?
So it man, then. What's it doing in "base" (see below
about "base")? I suggested devel since all the pages
are in man 3.

> Or are you objecting to a
> category with one package listed?
Not at all. I think postgresql is great in "database",
for example.

> > f. Unless those man pages in base are preformatted
> (in
> > which case they should be in catx, not manx), it's
> not
> > going to do a lot of good without groff.
>
> Good point.
And less. man won't work without that or a link to it,
I just found out from an attempted minimal install.

> > Second, I liked Earnie Boyd's definition of a
> "base"
> > system

> > though you now need ncurses and gettext as well to
> use
> > vim. This will get newbies up and running instead
> of
> > "I installed everything in 'base', but I can't
> find
> > any [text editor|pager|awk]"
>
> Note that base != user friendly install. Base is the
> core stuff required
> for cygwin to work.
Hm. I thought setup.exe was supposed to be the "user
friendly install". And, I thought stuff required was
just cygwin and a shell (bash by default, but you
could mess about and get ash or tcsh to work).
I see the options as:
1. A user-friendly "base" with what people minimally
expect, including working man pages and a text editor.
(We could to vim-minimal and vim-enhanced like RedHat.
At least vim6-beta had a "tiny" compile option without
windowing support not linked to ncurses.) This would
involved, I think, moving gawk, sed, and less at least
to "base"
2. Something on the download page telling people that
"base" might not have some functionality they expect.
3. Lots of stupid questions on the mailing list.

> > Lastly, I think the description of rxvt is
> misleading.
> > It sounds like you need X11, and doesn't highlight
> at
> > all it's small size or that it can replace the DOS
> > window.
>
> Good point.
Does this means it'll get changed? (I'm assuming the
rxvt maintainer reads this list.)

Thanks.