Re: [ANN] apache_1.3.22 package available for setup inclusion

Stipe Tolj wrote:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
>

>>Question 1:
>>===========
>>The Apache isn't linked against libgdbm?
>>Wouldn't it be a nice addition?
>>
>>I ask because of this message during configuring:
>>
>> + adding selected modules
>>    o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
>>      disabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
>>      (perhaps you need to add -ldbm, -lndbm or -lgdbm to EXTRA_LIBS)
>>    o dbm_auth_module uses ConfigStart/End
>>

> snap from src/Configure:

>     *-cygwin*)
> 	OS='Cygwin'
> 	OSDIR="os/cygwin"
> 	CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -DCYGWIN"
> 	DEF_WANTHSREGEX=yes
> 	DBM_LIB="-lgdbm"
> 	LIBS="$LIBS -lcrypt $DBM_LIB"
> 	;;
>
> so it should be linked in, IMO, but staticaly.

Actually, -lgdbm SHOULD result in a dynamic link.  unless you explicitly
say '-static', ld will first attempt to link against "libgdbm.dll.a"
(the import lib for cyggdbm.dll) BEFORE trying to link against
"libgdbm.a" (the static lib).

> Should be link against the import lib -lgsbm.dll to have cyggdbm.dll
> used?

No, see above.  (Also, the current gdbm DLLization is "old style" --
which means that if you want to link STATICALLY you have to compile with
-DGDBM_STATIC.  See /usr/doc/Cygwin/gdbm.README.  I hope to change this
soon...utilizing autoimport functionality, blah blah blah)

>>Question 2:
>>My configure says:
>>
>> + using system Expat
>>
>>wouldn't it be nice to have a cygwin-port of expat with shared libs too?
>>

> expat is not maintained by the Apache group itself, so it's an other
> front here I guess.

True -- are you volunteering, Gerrit?  :-)

--Chuck