RE: RFP: UPX (Was Re: reducing binary distribution size with UPX)

Hi!

I have used UPX a lot recently, and have found it very useful; however,
I would not recommend compressing all binaries with it. Instead, to get
a good compromise between size and speed, why not just compress those
files that are the least used, and/or largest.

For example, on my system, the largest files are (not including dlls
since someone posted that they do not compress well):
gs.exe*
gdb.exe*
lynx.exe*
cvs.exe*
postgres.exe*
openssl.exe*
vim.exe*
dvipdfm.exe*
squid.exe*
links.exe*
pdfetex.exe*
mutt.exe*
pdftex.exe*
ld.exe*
objdump.exe*
as.exe*
objcopy.exe*
strip.exe*
bash.exe*
expect.exe*
omfonts.exe*
gprof.exe*
irc-20010101.exe*

Of these, I would not compress ld, as, and possibly cvs since I don't
want to incur a performance hit, but the rest will considerably reduce
the size with a minimal loss of speed :).

Stephano Mariani

PS: The UPX stubs are *very* fast anyway :)