Packaging tools? (Was: RE: RFP: NASM)

--- Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote:
> Please keep replies on-list.

sorry, sometimes mail comes with the list address in From:,
but not this time...

> And? Your points below don't give any rational that means NASM is good
> or bad to include. There are lots of things that only a few folk use in
> cygwin already - i.e. robots.
>
> Other things also build smoothly - ie squid, grep, ls, sh-utils, bash,
> to name a few. So that's also not a good criterion.

well, grep, ls, bash are the must-be utilities, Cygwin wouldn't be what it is
without them.

As for the packaging, the most annoing thing (only imho, I've built only
one package, much less than you folks) was setting correctly all
the path names in configure options, and then packing it all with a proper
file name.

Did someone think of developing a simple framework for making the packages,
especially for that software which supports Cygwin and configure does everything
for you?

something like
   cygmkpkg expat-1.95.2.tar.gz
and that's it?
Let the script do all unpacking, configuring, making, then packaging
efforts? It would just prompt for the setup.ini description and category,
or take them from previous version?

Then, after that, there will be no questions like "who's gonna maintain
this package?" -- even the checkup for the sources version update can be
automated.

As for NASM, I've seen only one program which uses it (and can compile
without it too) -- that's Lame. Are there more? Perhaps, some hardware
related tools, like CD-R burning? Video processing?

Cheers,
Stan