Re: info: single install xfree86 + minimal cygwin?

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 01:39:18AM -0400, Harold Hunt wrote:
>Chris,
>
>Did we ever get "meta" packages enabled in Cygwin setup that are essentially
>file-less packages (e.g. XFree86 Minimum Install, XFree86 Standard Install,
>etc.) that depend on other packages?

Yep, as Robert indicated, this has been possible for a while.

For Cygwin/XFree86, what I'd like to do is have you all come up with
a few .tar.bz2 files which install into a /usr/X11R6,
/etc/X11, etc.

The hierarchy would be something like:

xfree
  base
    setup.hint
    XFree-4.2.0-1.tar.bz2
    XFree-4.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2
  doc
    setup.hint
    XFree-doc-4.2.0-1.tar.bz2
  devel
    setup.hint
    XFree86-devel-4.2.0-1.tar.bz2
    XFree86-devel-4.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2

(borrowing from the apparent Red Hat package names)

The setup hint file for base would be something like:

sdesc: "The basic fonts, programs and docs for an X workstation."
requires: cygwin termcap libncurses6 terminfo
category: XFree86
ldesc: "he X Window System provides the base technology for developing
graphical user interfaces. Simply stated, X draws the elements
of the GUI on the user's screen and builds methods for sending
user interactions back to the application. X also supports remote
application deployment--running an application on another computer
while viewing the input/output on your machine.  X is a powerful
environment which supports many different applications, such as
games, programming tools, graphics programs, text editors, etc.
XFree86 is the version of X which runs on Linux, as well as on other
platforms.

This package contains the basic fonts, programs and documentation
for an X workstation.  However, this package doesn't provide the
program which you will need to drive your video hardware.  To
control your video card, you'll need the particular X server
package which corresponds to your computer's video card.

Additionally, you will need to install the Xconfigurator package, the xfs
X font server package and the XFree86-libs package.
You may also need to install one or more of the XFree86 fonts packages.

And finally, if you are going to develop applications that run as
X clients, you will also need to install XFree86-devel."

cgf