setup and C++ STL

I'd like to remove some of the hoemgrown templates, and/or turn them
into extensions to the STL. String++ for example would likely be better
as a has-a <string> combined with Unicode support and FormatMessage
support.

This needs (IIRC) several things:
1) The cross-compiling all-in-one-run tree that builds
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc, libgcc etc needs to be altered so that it builds
both a cygwin libgcc and a mingw libgcc.
2) The STL needs to be included in that tree if it's not already, and it
needs to be added to the cinstall Makefile search path.
3) Anything else that cgf adds after he reads my email.

I don't have time to do 1) or the first half of 2).

Any volunteers?

There are some side-benefits to this.
1) It would allow a mingw libgcc to be built easily, making a package of
that a potential reality.
2) cinstall would get YA template overhaul.
3) Folk sending patches to cinstall would find the source base more
easily understood (if they have STL background).

Rob