Re: RFD: gettext, iconv, packaging...

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

:-)  Great.  Well, I don't like the part about 'whining', but all the
rest is great.

Ok. I'll take the two packages if no one steps on my toes now...

Cool. I didn't mean that you, in particular, *must* take these two packages "or I won't do libiconv." It's just that your name popped into my head as one who was complaining, specifically, that I "refused" to release libiconv.

The real reason I changed my mind (on libiconv) is that I've done some additional reading, and realized that libiconv and gettext are tightly connected -- in fact, are interdependent -- so releases of those two packages must be coordinated. It's best if that's done by a single person. e.g. me.

But my priority is perl 5.8 now and I don't plan to release new zip/unzip
packages before perl 5.8 is done.

There's really no need to release new zip/unzip packages in the near future at all -- unless all you want to change is the maintainer line in the README (which seems a waste of bandwidth). I just recently updated to the latest versions, added all the outstanding patches...it should be good for another year or so. <g>

It's not the work, it's the responsibility.

--Chuck