Re: Ghostscript packaging for X11, non-X11 versions

Dario Alcocer wrote:

For X:
  prefix = /usr/X11R6
  sysconfdir = /etc

  CFLAGS="${MY_CFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${MY_LDFLAGS}" \
  ${srcdir}/configure \
  --srcdir=${srcdir} --prefix=${prefix} \
  --exec-prefix=${prefix} --sysconfdir=${sysconfdir} \
  --libdir=${prefix}/lib --includedir=${prefix}/include \
  --libexecdir='${sbindir}' --localstatedir=/var \
  --datadir='/usr/share'

Hmm, does 'mandir' derive from 'datadir'?  If so, then I think
this is the same layout as I describe below.

I'm not sure. sometimes there's a specific mandir variable.

I can see the scripts being duplicated, since native scripts should call
the native gs.exe, and the X11 gs.exe should have its own wrapper scripts
which call the X11 version of gs.exe.  (In other words, /usr/bin/ps2pdf
should call /usr/bin/gs, while /usr/X11R6/bin/ps2pdf should call
/usr/X11R6/bin/gs.)

On the other hand, the Ghostscript manual pages themselves make no
distinction between X11 and native builds, so my preference would be to
install manual pages only in /usr/share/man.  The only reason I think
manual pages should be installed into /usr/X11R6/man is if they are X11
specific manual pages, i.e. document only X11-specific behavior or
functionality.

I was "assuming" that the man pages were munged so that the X-configured ones and the "normal" ones were different (*probably* untree -- but very very safe)

This way, anything under /usr/X11R6 (whether it be binaries or
documentation) can be assumed to be specific to X11 only.  To install
non-X11 manual pages in /usr/X11R6/man seems confusing, at least to
me ;-)

Well, you're the maintainer -- so you get to keep track of whether the X- vs. nonX- man pages are identical.

As Chris pointed out, we currently do not install man pages into /usr/share/man -- even tho that's the new LSB. I don't see the problem with gradually transitioning over to putting them there, tho -- except for one thing:

we need a MANPATH munger to add /usr/share/man to the search path (see /etc/profile.d/openssl.sh). But not EVERY package needs to do it -- or we'll end up with a MANPATH that looks like
/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/man:/usr/ssl/man

followed by 800 copies of :/usr/share/man:

Maybe an update of the man package itself?

--Chuck