Re: profile package

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 05:16:40PM +0100, John Morrison wrote:
>sdesc: "Base system miscellaneous files"
>ldesc: "This package contains the basic filesystem hierarchy, and
> several important miscellaneous files"

Here's what the description for setup from rpm says:
The setup package contains a set of important system configuration and
setup files, such as passwd, group, and profile.

>Would this be better?
>
>> > category: base
>> Shouldn't there be a dependency on the Cygwin package?
>
>ack :)
>
>requires: cygwin

I don't see any reason for this to require cygwin.  There are no programs
there.

>Do you think it needs any shells?
>
>the Deb package consists of: (relevant to Cygwin)
>
>etc/debian_version

Why is debian_version relevant to Cygwin?

>etc/host.conf

Does cygwin use this?

>etc/inputrc
>etc/issue
>etc/issue.net

Does login use the etc/issue* files?

>etc/nsswitch.conf
>etc/profile
>
>with a seperate base-passwd which "provides the
>master /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, containing
>allocated user and group IDs, plus the update-passwd
>utility to keep them up to date."
>
>Note that I'm willing to do this package too :)

Sounds like a good idea to me.

cgf