Re: proposal for GNU emacs 21.2 package

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

What's there to figure out? Just pass "--enable-static" "--disable-shared" during the configuration phase. And boom, you get a static executable. If it builds shared, it will definitely build static. If needs be, you can tell it to explicitly use the static
The X11 libraries are shared-only, so this doesn't work.  Without
static versions of the X11 libraries, I don't think it's possible
to run gnu emacs without rebasing.

No, it works in the windows gui, but not inside X. Anyhow, it really doesn't matter to me as I'm quite happy to continue using my Vi.
There's an X11 version of xemacs -- I've got it installed.  It's not
very reliable, though, so perhaps it is in development.

Since Christopher Faylor is opposed to duplicate dll's, how about this:
a front-end script to emacs to copy them to a temp directory
and rebase them on the fly, then invoke emacs?

Otherwise looks like this can't be done without the XFree86 package being rebuilt to
provide static libraries.

Joe Buehler