Re: Doxygen

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Ryunosuke Satoh wrote:

> > I don't understand what do you want to show with that exmaple ? Please,
> > give more details. _WIN32 is not defined on Cygwin, so "gswin32c.exe"
> > should not be picked up if everything is set up correctly. See below the
> > output of gcc -v on Cygwin:
>
> _WIN32 is used for VC++. Doxygen can be compiled with VC++.
> If _WIN32 is undefined, fail to compile.
> Doxygen use Qt library for dealing with string. (See qtools dir)
> In file included from qiodevice.h:42,
>                  from qbuffer.h:42,
>                  from qbuffer.cpp:38:
> qglobal.h:132: #error "Qt has not been ported to this OS - talk to qt-bugs@troll
> tech.com"
> I don't want to edit Qt library's headers.
> For compiling Qt library, I define _WIN32.

I'll let someone else, more experienced than me, comment on this, but IMO
you're not doing the right thing. The following simple change allows
the qtools subdirectory to be compiled without any complints on Cygwin
without having to define _WIN32:

#elif defined(__CYGWIN__)
#define _OS_CYGWIN_
#else
#error "Qt has not been ported to this OS - talk to qt-bugs@trolltech.com"
#endif

Do you have a reason to avoid a patch like this ?

Then again - you do not define  D_WIN32 only for qtools subdir, but also
for the src subdir. This means that anycode in the main doxygen body which
has #ifdef _WIN32 clause in it will choose to use the "wrong" branch.

Or if you really want to use the _WIN32 code then add to the #ifdef _WIN32
also a check for __CYGWIN__. But this should be done on your prior
knowledge that this is really the way it must be done. Ie you have to
check the source by yourself and decide where _WIN32 is needed and where
not.

The way you're doing it now, again IMO, will spread confusion to anyone
who is using the source package.

> I think if I'm a VC++ user on Windows,
> When I want to compile doxygen,
> I must setup libpng and qt library and ......,
> It's a troublesome.
> I expec that This is the reason is why doxygen soruce include libpng and qt library.

Well, you choose to be a port maintainer :) Then maintain it! :)

Anyway, I am saying it again - it is not a showstopper... but it would be
nice to have it linked against the dll. It'll save some space and also
will utilize the work of other peoples which spent time on portin libpng
to Cygwin and made it possible to build it as dll.