Re: Setup Prop: Change percent to underscore

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 10:48, M. Evans wrote:

> > Yep. Why not contact the authors of the programs you mention and get
> > them to fix their bugs.
>
> Already done that.  I agree with you that it's legal but also think
> what is legal is not always what is ethical.  It would be better for
> Cygwin to play friendly with various file managers.

We do. The standard to which we play is the one they are meant to play -
win32 file naming conventions. If anyone is being less than ethical it
is those file managers developers, that are implementing less than the
full specification for win32 file names, and then passing it off as
'complete'.

In fact, If they are being confused by % signs, it sounds like they are
using something like printf (filename), which is very very bad
programming practice.

You got a tart response because you appear to have not thought through
the issue fully.

You got an opinionated response because we have thought the issue
through, and have no hesitation in expressing our opinions.

Rob

--
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.