Re: pdksh package proposal

> Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> >> Your source package does not conform to 'Method Two', though you
> >> seem to be convinced that it is.
> >
> > Sorry this is totally new to me, I'm going with "Method One". I was a
> > bit confused but have read the document again since.
>
> There seems to be a trend towards Method Two, although I don't remember
any
> preference being officially declared.
>
> Method two does have the advantage that it is a lot clearer how to exactly
> reproduce the original packager's build.
>
> Perhaps a standard needs to be declared about which method is to be used
for
> new packages.

Sorry my argument against keeping "Method One" wasn't exactly sound. The
reason I would like to keep "Method One" as an option is because I'm going
to maintain the ksh93 package, that is if no one else has a burning
desire/time to spare to maintain it, as ast-ksh doesn't use the GNU build
system aka autotools. I know I could modify the build script to accommodate
the Mamfile system, but why do that when there exists an easier way to do
it. I'm a true simplest ya know ;-)

This way if "Method One" were to be kept it would give package maintainers
the option to choose which package standard they wanted to use, instead of
having to stick to *one* strict rule.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn at exposure dot org dot uk