Re: Default script installation

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 05:49:10PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Forwarding to the list:
>John Morrison wrote:
>>> From: Max Bowsher

>>> You can't guarantee that autodep packages will be installed at the
>>> right time.
>>>
>>> How about including a copy of the update-defaults postinstall script
>>> in every package that installs files to /etc/defaults ?
>>
>> I didn't want to force folks to do anything :(
>
>And now replying:
>
>The autodep method just about works for Base packages, but is simply not an
>option for any non-Base packages. So if any non-Base packages are to use
>/etc/defaults/, it's really not feasible at all.

Why does it have anything to do with Base packages?  We know it isn't
a perfect solution.  We've discussed this to death.

It would probably be slightly more perfect if 1) the postinstall scripts
were run in a known order and 2) dependencies were tracked during local
installs.

Given the glacial progress of setup.exe development, I guess neither is
likely to happen soon.

cgf