Re: Pending packages status (10 Mar 2003)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Volker Quetschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I send the last mail before I read your mail Earnie.

> |> OK, I've completed the review I began there. I have the following notes:
> |>
> |> - The warning about gracerc and gracerc.user being overwritten on
> |> reinstall
> |> is in the README. I'm not sure very many people will read that. I suggest
> |> putting it in the comments actually in the files themselves.
> |
> | IIRC, this is a major flaw.  Package configuration files are to not be
> | overwritten upon reinstall.  You need to use postinstall scripts to
> | install initial configuration files and not overwrite exsiting
> | configuration files.
> If you plan to change the default settings you should use user defined
> settings, but yes I see the point.

What if you are a system administrator and want to change settings for all
users at once?  I agree with Earnie.

> |> - You could do change doc to /usr/grace/doc in the README file. This
> |> would
> |> make it more clear to grace newbies where to find the installed
> |> documentation.
> |
> | Uhm, you mean /usr/doc/grace or do you mean /usr/doc/Cygwin/grace.README?
> The original /usr/grace/README which gets copied to
> /usr/doc/grace-5.1.12 only talks about the doc directory, grace.README
> has the full information in it.
>
> |> Neither of these are critical - the current packages could be released
> |> as-is - but both of the above are minor improvements that should be
> |> considered.
> |
> | Not following these conventions are critical IMNSHO.
>
> Ok, if I find a few cycles I will implement the postinstall script.
>
> Volker

Hope the following chunk helps:

#!/bin/sh
[ ! -e "/etc/gracerc" ] && cp -a /etc/gracerc.default /etc/gracerc
[ ! -e "/etc/gracerc.user" ] && cp -a /etc/gracerc.user.default /etc/gracerc.user

And include /etc/gracerc.default and /etc/gracerc.user.default in the
package (those can get overwritten).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune