String and std::string

I've been toying with some ideas for UserSetting persistence in setup.conf,
and have run into the following issue:

String, from String++.* lacks some functionality I need. std::string has the
necessary functionality.

Is one of String and std::string deprecated as far as setup is concerned?

Are there any features String has but std::string does not?

Should I add the needed functionality to String, or convert all relevant
parts of setup away from String, to std::string?

Max.