Re: ctags 5.5-2

Ok, I'll try again.

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
What's bad is that you disabled etags.  Why?  It wasn't disabled before
and I don't see a reason to do that since...

  +etags rather than using "ctags -e" then I recommend you copy ctags.exe to
  +etags.exe in the bin directory as windows doesn't do shortcuts with relative
  +paths.

...this comment is plainly wrong.  The shortcuts are created so that
they use absolute paths under native Windows and releative paths under
Cygwin.  Please enable etags again.  It was so before.

Ah, as I said, I haven't been long in cygwin land. I just looked at it from windows and assumed too much. Though I thought cygwin would have a way around it but I didn't click that it would still look the same from windows. So I've re-enabled it and it works too, great!

And actually I don't understand your change in the sources.  Why did
you remove the setting of FilesRequired enirely and why did you
invent that RunMakeTags?  Is that an official patch?

It was an unofficial patch, but I have one now. Darren partly intended the change, but did not expect that someone might have an option in .ctags which --help should overide. The patch fixes --help and --list-* to not run ctags but --version will run ctags as well if -R or files are specified.

Oh and you should remove the dependency from regex in ctags.README.

Done

Darren has asked me if I could tell him to make a cygwin package so that he could distribute one. From what I understand of cygwin this isn't normal, packages are distributed through the cygwin site/mirrors. Is there a way to get setup to install/uninstall a standalone package?

Maybe he would like to become maintainer for cygwin, that would be pretty ideal really. Shall I just point him to my files and the package contributors page on the website?

The new files are:

http://pop3check.sourceforge.net/cygwin/ctags/ctags-5.5-3-src.tar.bz2
http://pop3check.sourceforge.net/cygwin/ctags/ctags-5.5-3.tar.bz2
http://pop3check.sourceforge.net/cygwin/ctags/setup.hint

category: Devel
requires: cygwin
sdesc: "A C programming language indexing and/or cross-reference tool"
ldesc: "Exuberant Ctags generates an index (or tag) file of language objects
found in source files for many popular programming languages. This index
makes it easy for text editors and other tools to locate the indexed
items. Exuberant Ctags improves on traditional ctags because of its
multilanguage support, its ability for the user to define new languages
searched by regular expressions, and its ability to generate emacs-style
TAGS files."

Simon