Re: A modest proposal #2: unsupported

John Morrison wrote:

From: Charles Wilson

I'd like to add a 'release'-like directory tree to the cygwin mirror
system, called 'unsupported'.  Unlike the ill-fated 'contrib' tree from
years back, I believe this would be a positive and unconfusing addition.

<big-snip/>

Oooh, now this could *really* add to the number of packages for
cygwin...

Should packages still have to have bin (obviously yes!), src + patch?

setup-compatible means foo-A.B.C-X.tar.bz2 + foo-A.B.C-X-src.tar.bz2, where -src.tar.bz2 is packaged as described on http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html. setup.hints and everything. But maybe a little more leniency on things like cygwin-specific README files and such.

Should the tree be subdivided (thinking XFree86 mainly)?

Not sure what you mean. My *proposal* is that it look just like release/: lots of package directories, where each packagedir might have subdirectories for closely related subpackages (to use an example, ncurses is currently:

release/ncurses/
release/ncurses/libncurses5/
release/ncurses/libncurses6/
release/ncurses/libncurses7/
release/ncurses/libncurses-devel/
release/ncurses/ncurses-demo/

But a huge mega-sub-tree, like XFree86/ ? No, I don't think so...

--Chuck