Re: ITP: ProFTPD

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:41:33AM -0400, Bill C. Riemers wrote:
> The main reason for the group ownership None, is some software packages
> complain if privileged directories or key files are group writable,
> regardless of what group you choice.  For example, sshd will complain about
> files in /etc, and directories /var/empty, /home/*, /home/*/.ssh .

I don't understand that reasoning.  Sure the package complains.
But how's that a rational to use None as group?!?

There is a problem here, actually.  The problem is that the group names
are not the same in different native versions of Windows.  Therefore it
might be better to use numerical values for the groups as default:

chown 18.544 /var/proftd

/etc/proftpd.conf:

  # Set the user and group under which the server will run.
  # ==============================================================
  # NOTE: The numerical defaults are chosen so that it runs
  # on Cygwin with a higher probabilty on different native
  # Windows versions.  Change these values to something sensible
  # for your system.
  # Keep in mind to change ownership of /var/proftd appropriately.
  User 18
  Group 544

Or create a proftpd-install script in /usr/bin which allows interactive
settings as in e. g. ssh-host-config.

Red Hat, Inc.