This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RFC: Setup auto-dependency generation?
- From: "Gary R. Van Sickle" <g dot r dot vansickle at worldnet dot att dot net>
- To: "Cygwin-Apps" <cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:31:08 -0500
- Subject: RFC: Setup auto-dependency generation?
I'll just throw this out there to see if it's more burger than bun. This came
to mind when I read the "libpcre setup.hint is BROKEN" thread: Would it be
possible for upset or something to automatically generate the
setup.hint/setup.ini dependencies, or at least check them? Seems to me that,
since cygcheck will output a list of required DLLs, that a little bit of perl
1. Generate a DLL->Package map for all packages in Setup (this already exists).
2. Get a list of DLLs required by all EXEs/DLLs in a package using cygcheck.
3. Look up the DLL names in the DLL->Package map.
4. Generate or check the "requires" line of said package.
5. Lather, rinse, repeat for each package.
Of course there may be more dependencies than just EXEs->DLLs, but I'd assume
this is the major one, and it would at the very least be a partial solution to
dependency problems (it would have prevented the libpcre problem anyway).
It's early in the morning (they added a 9:30 in the morning now, lousy
government) and I'm thinking even less clearly than normal; I'm just asking if
it's possible and/or makes any sense, so please no "PTC"s, I'm well aware of the
Gary R. Van Sickle