Re: HEADSUP package maintainers: Welcome to Cygwin 1.5.0

Sorry, I should have asked about this back on cygwin-developers, but I
wasn't thinking that hard about it then.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> lseek and lseek64 are both exported from the Cygwin DLL.  Old
> applications still use the lseek entry point since they don't know
> better.  Newly build applications on the other hand will use the
> lseek64 entry point directly.  But how do they know?  That's done
> at link time.  The new libcygwin.a import library translates call
> to lseek to calls to lseek64 transparently.  Applications don't have
> to know anything, they just get it for free.
Do you really mean at link time?

If these were translated via the headers at compile time, then new
executables with old libraries might have a better chance at working, each
in their own 32 or 64 bit world, but together.  Obviously, they still
couldn't pass the types that changed sizes between them, though.

> This means, the package maintainers of libraries, especially those
> which provide DLLs should build a new version of their packages
> as soon as possible.  Only with all libs finished, we can finally
> migrate the whole Cygwin net distro to 64 bit.
So, I'll ask again.  What about libraries that depend on libraries?  Wait,
or go?

Thanks for your help, and your hard work to make this happen is greatly

Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer
VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
FlightSafety International