Re: HEADSUP package maintainers: Welcome to cygwin 1.5.0

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:31:25PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>lseek and lseek64 are both exported from the Cygwin DLL.  Old
>>applications still use the lseek entry point since they don't know
>>better.  Newly build applications on the other hand will use the
>>lseek64 entry point directly.  But how do they know?  That's done at
>>link time.  The new libcygwin.a import library translates call to lseek
>>to calls to lseek64 transparently.  Applications don't have to know
>>anything, they just get it for free.
>>
>Do you really mean at link time?

Yes, she really means at link time.

>If these were translated via the headers at compile time, then new
>executables with old libraries might have a better chance at working, each
>in their own 32 or 64 bit world, but together.

The old libraries wouldn't magically understand the larger structures
that new executables need regardless of whether we're talking about
link or compile time.

Anyway, we're not going to redesign everything now.

>>This means, the package maintainers of libraries, especially those
>>which provide DLLs should build a new version of their packages as soon
>>as possible.  Only with all libs finished, we can finally migrate the
>>whole Cygwin net distro to 64 bit.
>>
>So, I'll ask again.  What about libraries that depend on libraries?
>Wait, or go?

If you have a library that needs to be rebuilt, then rebuild it.  If you
need to coordinate with another library maintainer then coordinate with
the library maintainer.  You can do that by sending email here.

cgf