Re: Proposal: naim

Daniel Reed wrote:

On 2003-07-11T10:25-0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
) On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Daniel Reed wrote:
) >  requires: libncurses6 cygwin
)              ^^^^^^^^^^^
) Shouldn't this be libncurses7 already?

naim should function with any version of ncurses since 4.0 (libncurses[5-7]
are all ncurses-5.x releases). I was confused to see such a major
distinction between two 5.2's and 5.3 in Cygwin (major enough to warrant
separate package names), so I just picked the oldest one that people might
have installed that didn't have the word "compatibility" in it, which was 6.
Any of the ones available now should work equally well, so I'll bump it to
libncurses7 if 5 and 6 are being phased out--it's just that there's no need
to require 7 if you already have 5 or 6 installed.

No, that's not the way this works.

naim requires whichever version of ncurses it was compiled against. End of story. ("compiled against" means "the version of the import library that was installed on the developer's system." If you're not sure, just compile the app, and run cygcheck on the executable.

See, libncurses6 package contains cygncurses-6.dll. libncurses7 package contains cygncurses-7.dll.

naim.exe "knows" that it wants (e.g.) cygncurses-7.dll -- it WILL NOT even attempt to use cygncurses-6.dll. If it can't find -7.dll it will die.

Therefore, (in my example) the naim package should depend on libncurses7. Period. You don't get to choose.

--
Chuck