glimpse not OSD compatible (Was: [UPDATE] Pending package status(11 Jul 2003))

elfyn@cygwin.com wrote:
@ glimpse

date   : 02 Jun 2003
version: 4.17.4-1
status : on hold
notes  : http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-06/msg00010.html
         http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-06/msg00013.html
         http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-06/msg00014.html
         http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-06/msg00238.html
         http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-06/msg00243.html
votes  : 3 (Christopher, Gerrit and Joe)
url    : http://www.tierra.dyndns.org:81/cygwin/chase/chase-0.5-1-src.tar.bz2
         http://www.tierra.dyndns.org:81/cygwin/chase/chase-0.5-1.tar.bz2
         http://www.tierra.dyndns.org:81/cygwin/chase/setup.hint

Elfyn McBratney wrote in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-06/msg00222.html > I'm wondering.. Will it conflict if their license isn't GPL or OSD compatible? > Regarding linking it with Cygwin and thus automatically making this > distribution of glimpse GPL'd?

Looking at http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html it seems not to be an OSD compatible license:
1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

So we have no exemption from the GPL for the cygwin stub in the exe files.

I think we should add a comment on the packaging page that only OSD compatible packages can become part of the cygwin distribution.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn