This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[Ready for test/1.5.0] libtool-devel, libltdl3
- From: "Charles Wilson" <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:23:51 -0400
- Subject: [Ready for test/1.5.0] libtool-devel, libltdl3
Mostly just a recompile (of cygltdl-3.dll) against the 1.5.0 kernel,
I discovered a problem with the binary wrappers (which are used to "fool"
make into NOT re-making the exe's over and over and over...). These
BINARY wrappers are dumb; they are supposed to just launch the
SHELLSCRIPT wrappers, which do the real work of seting the environment
properly so that the REAL, but uninstalled, executables will work
properly. So, the binary wrapper needs to be able to find the
shellscript wrapper -- which is simple enough, they are always in the
The gettext selftests invoke the uninstalled executables by setting
$PATH, and then invoking them without explicit path information. Thus,
argv is "foo" not "../src/foo" -- and prepending the current working
directory just won't do, which is what the binary wrapper code in stock
libtool-1.5 does. So, I made it smarter. It actually hunts for the
executable, walking the PATH if necessary, etc. Seems to solve the
problems with gettext's testsuite, and causes no regressions in libtool's
This patch has been submitted to libtool-patches.
*HOWEVER*. This release of libtool is simply stock libtool-1.5 with my
additional patch. It does NOT include any other patches that have gone
into libtool-cvs since the 1.5 release (such as Max's path-ordering fix).
I'll save that stuff for later; right now I just want to do the minimum
necessary to get cygwin-1.5.0-compatible stuff out the door.
(You might wonder, then, why I'd update to the hellish gettext-0.12.1
instead of just recompiling gettext-0.11.5. I have no idea. I've
started to ask myself the same question...)
cygwin at removespam cwilson dot fastmail dot fm