Re: SetupXP

Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Doesn't seem to be. In fact, it doesn't even seem to be based on a
>>> consistent set of files. This makes diffing out your changes virtually
>>> impossible.
>>>

> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>> ???  "cvs diff -pub -r HEAD $(find . | egrep '.*\.(c|cc|h|rc)$')" gives
the
>> ~43KB diff here:
>> http://home.att.net/~g.r.vansickle/cygwin/setup/diff.txt
>>
>> What's not consistent?
>
> Well, obviously I couldn't use "cvs diff" because there were no CVS
> directories in your tarball. So, I attempted to check out an unmodified
copy
> of setup, and roll it back and forward with "cvs up -D foo" until I got
the
> base of your modified version. Whatever I tried, I ended up with the $Id
> keywords in some files telling me that I needed to move my base checkout
> forward in time, whilst simultaneously in other files, the $Id keyword
told
> me to move my base checkout *backwards* in time. Confused by this
weirdness,
> I gave up.
>
> By the way, there is still one occurrence of $Id in your patch, in res.rc.
> Either you need to "cvs up", or the $Id keyword is showing incorrect
> information.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the diff - now I can actually see what your changes
are.

Seems I spoke too soon. The diff is still messy in parts. First, please drop
"-r HEAD" from your diff command. All that accomplishes is to make the
generated patch *revert all changes to HEAD that you haven't merged into
your local copy*.

Second, could you include CVS dirs in your tarball. It wouldn't add much to
the size, and it would allow me a better chance at getting a clean diff out
of your changes.

Third, you are accumulating quite a large quantity of changes. The XP
manifest change seems to be conveniently modular. Want to submit that to
cygwin-apps@, as a first step to decreasing the size of your monolithic
patch?

I'd like to see bigchooser get to the mainline. I've been patching it into
my personal-use setup since you first posted a patch.

Max.