Re: SetupXP

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>> First, please drop
>>> "-r HEAD" from your diff command. All that accomplishes is to make the
>>> generated patch *revert all changes to HEAD that you haven't merged into
>>> your local copy*.
>>>

>> Ouch, ok, important safety tip.  I thought I had gotten all the
>> changes to HEAD,
>> but as you discovered I hadn't.
>>

> Actually, this appear to work exactly opposite of what you claim:
>
> $ cvs diff -pub res.rc
> [...]
> -CAPTION "Create Icons"
> +CAPTION "Cygwin Setup"
> [...]
>
> $ cvs diff -pub -r HEAD res.rc
> [...]
> -CAPTION "Cygwin Setup - Create Icons"
> +CAPTION "Cygwin Setup"
> [...]
>

> "-r HEAD" diffs against HEAD, right?  Isn't that exactly what we want?

No. What we want is a diff showing the things *you have changed*. That is, a
diff between the versions of the files on which your working copy is based,
and the actual files containing your local modifications. For the above
there is little benefit, but suppose I make some alterations to a different
part of res.rc. Without -r HEAD, we see just what you have changed. With -r
HEAD, the diff also includes the changes I made, in reverse, which is
unwanted and confusing.

Max.