unsupported/ (was Re: libiconv & gettext (many))

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>The gettext manpages were installed into usr/share/man/*
> >
> >Actually, now that I think about this, is it so bad?  /usr/share/man/*
> >IS in the FHS.  Would it be so awful to (a) allow both /usr/share/man
> >and /usr/man, and/or gradually transition to a more compliant (e.g.
> >/usr/share/man) hierarchy?
>
> I had the same thought.  I don't have any problems with the gradual adoption
> of /usr/share/man, as long as the "man" command works with it, of course.
>
> I wish we'd used /usr/share/man from the start, in fact.  Oh well.
>
> As they say at Red Hat "We are still learning".

This talk of adhering the FHS made me remember Chuck's proposal for an
'unsupported/' dir (<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-04/msg00306.html>)
in ~ftp/pub/cygwin .

Chris raised some concerns about the cygwin mailing list filling up with lot's
of musings about the 'unsupported' packages, but I think there's a way we can
have an unsupported range of packages without the noise: integrate these
'unsupported' offerings with the "Software" list on the cygwin home page.

Any thoughts?

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB  |  http://www.nongnu.org/wwwauth/